The objective of the Global Undergraduate Exchange Program is to provide a large and diverse group of student leaders with in-depth exposure to US society, culture and academic institutions by engaging in substantive academic exchanges at colleges and universities in the United States.
The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program provides scholarships for one semester of US study in a non-degree program aimed at providing a diverse group of emerging student leaders from non-elite and underrepresented groups in East Asia, including the Philippines, with a substantive cultural and educational exchange experience at a US college or university. Scholars will be enrolled full-time in undergraduate course work chosen from the US host institution’s existing curriculum to allow for ample opportunity for on-going interaction with US faculty and student peers, and for exposure to US academic and classroom culture.
The Global UGRAD Program is open to anyone who is/has:
- Over 18 years of age;
- A citizen of the Philippines, currently residing in the country;
- Have completed their first year of undergraduate study prior to starting their Global UGRAD Program;
- Enrolled as an undergraduate in good standing at any accredited university, public or private, and has at least one semester remaining at their home university at the conclusion of the UGRAD program; The Global UGRAD program cannot be the final academic term of a student’s undergraduate study.
- A solid command of written and spoken English (English Language training for some finalists is possible); able to begin studies in the United States in August 2018 or January 2019 (selected participants may not defer to a later date);
- Eligible to receive and maintain the US student exchange visa (J-1) required for the program;
- Committed to returning to their home country after the completion of the program.
Individuals holding dual citizenship, are permanent residents of the U.S., and/or are presently studying in the US are not eligible.
A complete application consists of the following:
- Completed application form available online through: http://exchangeprograms.worldlearning.org/
- Personal statement and responses to essay questions
- Copy of biographic & signature pages of your passport, if available
- Official transcripts for years of university study (with English translations); please provide grade equivalences used by your university
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from teachers/professors
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score report, if available
The deadline for submission of applications is on December 31, 2017.